Find out more about Employee Scheduling Software
What is Employee Scheduling Software?
Small businesses typically use paper or spreadsheets to manage their employee schedules. Nevertheless, expanding companies need to invest in more efficient methods to manage their resources and time. They can make use of employee scheduling software to automate and maintain their staff members’ schedules as per company requirements. This type of system also tracks vacation time, sick time, and compensation time, and provides instant alerts if there are any scheduling conflicts.
There are many benefits of using employee scheduling software: You can easily assign employees to shifts and jobs, track their tasks in real time, produce and maintain schedules, and track employees’ time. Start by checking our leader SubItUp, and other recommended solutions in this category.
Most Popular Employee Scheduling Software
Best Employee Scheduling Software
How To Choose The Best Employee Scheduling Software
Many developing businesses find themselves in need of a reliable employee scheduling software that will allow them to optimize the use of staff and enable improvement in terms of efficiency and productivity. With so many options available on the market, however, how can you choose the best employee scheduling software for your specific needs? In our buyer’s guide we’ll try to help you make a good choice. You’ll get crucial information on what features you should pay attention to, what type of software will you need depending on your company size and industry and other important details such as current trends and potential issues.
Get to know each product with a free trial
A good way to start your search is to register for the free trials of leading tools. This will enable you to test each software’s features free of cost and understand whether it is a good fit for your business. You can start by finding out whether the following popular employee scheduling applications offer a free trial: Planday, Acuity Scheduling, ShiftPlanning, Bitrix24, mHelpDesk, and Deputy.
- Small and medium-sized businesses – These firms are typically establishments that have up to 70-80 employees. Such businesses can consider a system that offers specialized features for their specific needs. For instance, a small dental clinic or salon that needs to manage appointments can use a system that offers calendar management, online booking, and automated scheduling. Medium-sized manufacturing companies need a platform that offers time-clock management, resource scheduling, and shift management.
- Large corporations – Big enterprises normally have multiple operational areas with staff members based at multiple locations. Schedule automation is important for these businesses which can consider a system that offers a modular suite so that they can select modules as per business needs.
What are Examples of Employee Scheduling Software?
- Planday: Simple yet robust online employee scheduling software. The app makes it easy to schedule shifts, communicate with your team, and manage employee processes.
- Acuity Scheduling: Online appointment scheduling system. Clients can schedule appointments, pay, and complete intake forms online 24/7. Signup is free for all users.
- ShiftPlanning: ShiftPlanning is a leading vendor of cloud-based employee management software for companies around the world. You can utilize the easy to use software to manage schedules, shifts, reports, time clocking, payroll and more online.
- Bitrix24: Bitrix24 is a free (for small business) social enterprise system. It is a united work space that manages the many aspects of daily tasks and operations.
- mHelpDesk: A highly rated field service management application. You can use it to get organized and gain more jobs from scheduling, invoice, dispatch and more, and boost your ROI.
- Deputy: Software for easy employee scheduling, communication, and time and attendance. The vendor offers a free unlimited trial to help you test drive the app’s features free of cost.
Types of Employee Scheduling Software
Web-based/online scheduling software: You can use this system to manage and make alterations to employee schedules anytime, anywhere and even on your mobile device. Another advantage is there are no upfront expenses and no fees for support, maintenance, or upgrades.
Server-based scheduling software: This system is installed on-premise in your office which means you can access it only when you are in the office. Plus, you have to shell out a huge upfront payment as well as support, maintenance, and upgrade fees.
Vehicle centric scheduling: With this software you need to set up employee schedules by creating vehicles first, then create scheduled shifts and delegate those shifts to vehicles, and finally you should delegate staff members to vehicle shifts. This system has disadvantages such as reduced flexibility.
Employee centric scheduling: This type provides highly flexible scheduling options. It offers easy setup, maintenance, and long-term usage. With this type, you need to first create jobs or units, then shifts, and finally you should delegate the shifts to your staff members rather than vehicles as in vehicle centric scheduling. The advantage is you can easily delegate the same shift to multiple employees which saves you time and long-term frustration.
Key Features of Employee Scheduling Software
- Employee/shift scheduling – Allows companies to manage employee work hours by monitoring their calendars in real time.
- Time-clock management – You can effectively manage employee work hours by monitoring their check-ins and check-outs. The system helps to track employee attendance as well as their paid time off (PTO) days.
- Automatic reminders – You can send reminders to employees and customers about upcoming appointments via email or SMS text messaging.
- Real-time automated scheduling – The solution can instantly confirm or refuse an allocation when you make a new booking request, based on availability.
- Field service management – Helps managers to manage and track activities of their field service staff members and resources.
- Calendar management – You can create meetings and appointments on your calendar and share them with other users at multiple locations. You can also synchronize this feature with third-party calendar apps such as Google Calendar or iCal used by the other participants.
- Resource scheduling – You can not only schedule the right employee to the right task, but also enable customers to schedule meeting rooms. The software also allows equipment scheduling.
Benefits of Employee Scheduling Software
Enhanced employee efficiency – Service professionals have a hard time handling customer work orders during peak times. If they do not use a good software, they can end up double-booking service orders. Scheduling software allows scheduling and rescheduling, and you can also confirm service orders with clients.
Centralized data – Companies that have employees based in multiple locations can find it difficult to communicate work schedules to these workers. Scheduling software centralizes information in a single place and updates it in real time. This enables all employees to view the latest updated information anywhere. The system can also send alerts if there is a schedule conflict.
Increased visibility and accountability – Scheduling software promotes transparency by automatically producing optimized schedules. The system also boosts accountability as it allows employees to select their own shifts if possible.
Automation of customer service – Companies are striving to provide good customer service to satisfy and retain them, and boost their revenue. Organizations that employ a big field service workforce have difficulty integrating their customer service management. They can use scheduling software which provides notifications to customers about when their service has been scheduled and also gives them information about the service rep who is scheduled to visit their residence.
Web-based systems – Cloud-hosted employee scheduling apps are becoming popular as they offer many advantages. They are ideal for companies that have employees based in multiple locations. Remote users can easily access the online scheduling software anywhere, anytime as all they need is a device connected to the internet.
Employee turnover: Businesses can have trouble managing the shift schedule if an employee quits suddenly. They would have to cover the shifts with depleted resources and take care not to over-tax the existing employees.
Unusual shift rotations: Some businesses have uncommon shift rotations that make employee scheduling difficult. Employees may work alternate hours or execute monthly rotations in remote areas. These companies need to use a quality employee scheduling software as otherwise the complications of unusual shift rotations can confuse both HR managers and workers.
Split schedules: Some businesses use split schedules, where for example, an employee works for four hours, then gets three hours off, and then comes back to work for another four hours. Tracking and managing such split schedules can be a challenge and you need a good quality system for the task.
List of Employee Scheduling Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
Our review platform employs our unique SmartScore™ mode to gather information about all the software in the Employee Scheduling Software category so that we can help you select the best possible service. It evaluates the following elements: core features, collaboration features, custom elements, available integrations, how easy a software is to use and learn, customer support, how secure a software is, mobility, scores in other media. As of now, SubItUp is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. Following thorough testing it got the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you include it as one of the solutions for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
A summary of general user satisfaction with the services in our Employee Scheduling Software category calculated using our unique algorythm that finds user reviews, comments and opinions across a wide range of social media platforms in order to help you make an informed purchase choice.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the Employee Scheduling Software category will offer a different set of pricing packages for its product and every plan will include a varied set of elements. Below we list the overal pricing for the most affordable plan available for each app. Keep in mind that advanced features may have an extra cost.
Devices Supported Read More
An analysis of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by all B2B solutions in the Employee Scheduling Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Learn which languages and countries are supported by the top B2B solutions in the Employee Scheduling Software category, including services designed for international markets and prepared for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Examine which pricing packages are supported by the vendors in the Employee Scheduling Software category to see which one suits your business requirements and budget best. Note that some solutions can support free or freemium accounts for you to test first.
Customer Types Read More
An analysis of what types of companies a specific B2B service in the Employee Scheduling Software category provides for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.
Deployment Read More
A summary of what kinds of software deployement are provided by every B2B vendor in the Employee Scheduling Software category. Even though the majority of modern SaaS solutions are cloud-based some services may offer an on-site deployment model too.